Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    10 July 2006

    Mmmm, Ikea...

    There's a box over here
    And a box over there
    There are nails on the floor
    And screws in my hair
    There are lots of little Allen keys in the air, everywhere
    It's an Ikea kind of day!

    Hurrah! We made it to Ikea! We spent up to our limit on our eftpos cards! Yaaaayyy!!!!

    Husband and I spent all of Sunday afternoon assembling various pieces of Ikea furniture. I love Allen keys, they are so clever. We now have wardrobes (praise be, I can finish unpacking!), some new CD racks, new bookshelves, glass cabinet and two cute stools which are also storage for the bathroom.

    There is something satisfying about putting together pieces of furniture - it must be even better to do it from scratch! It makes me feel like I'm totally in control of things cos I can put together stuff made of wood AND do it properly (although I put the shelves in backwards once and had to start again) and then have something functional at the end.

    actually, it reminded me muchly of trips to Home Bush Ikea in Stella, and then assembling purchases in the S Pad. I no longer have to travel three hours to get to Ikea, which is good, but I do miss the girlie camaraderie of Stella shopping trips!

    4 Comments:

    • Me too! Although I always suspected there would be less backwards shelves if we didn't feel the need to accompany the furniture assembly with a bottle or two of wine...

      By Blogger Sherd, at 11:29 am  

    • Stella misses your company too!

      How is it that assembly furniture feels so satisfying but baking from a box feels vaguely hollow?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 am  

    • So true - box baking does seem wrong. I'm betting my mother feels the same way about boxed furniture as she does boxed cakes.

      By Blogger Miff, at 1:56 pm  

    • Maybe because you can totally make a cake from scratch without too much more stuffing about than a box cake - but making furniture from scratch is like another level above cake-making again.

      And you still need a bit of an idea what you're doing with ikea (or maybe, especially with ikea).

      By Blogger Sherd, at 4:02 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home