Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    12 July 2006

    Crowded House Were Right

    Its what everyone says about Melbourne - four seasons in one day. Although I new this to be fundamentally true about Melbourne, I am still obviously a newbie here as the changing weather keeps taking me by surprise.*

    I was about to go to the markets for lunch and veggie shopping. As I put the dogs into the backyard I thought "What a nice sunny day! When I get back I might just put out a rug and lay in the sun reading" (as every domestic goddess is allowed to do once they have washed the dishes, which I had).

    Between me closing the back door, putting on a cardy ("Won't need a jacket in weather like this!"), picking up my hand bag and opening the front door it had turned very, very grey and cold, with an icy wind and menacing clouds.

    Bugger. Had to put on a jacket after all.

    I've learnt to carry around an umbrella in my hand bag at all times, but I feel like I almost need to also carry sun screen, a warm jacket, a summer t-shirt, a beanie and scarf, thongs and maybe gum-boots as well.

    Being science minded, and just generally wanting to know 'why?' I'm curious as to what it is about Melbourne's geography that makes the weather act the way it does.


    * It has been so bloody windy one of the hinges on my back door blew off. At least the washing dries quickly.

    3 Comments:

    • Is it to do with the PROXIMITY TO ANTARCTICA?



      Or something about how it's on one of those sticky-outy bits of land?

      By Blogger Sherd, at 2:59 pm  

    • On the other side of the country it's sunny a lot. It rains overnight & so when you wake up you have a lovely refreshed garden & then it's sunny all day again. Occasionaly there are the times when it's really wild & the rain comes in at all directions due to the crazy sea-wind but that's ok because that just reminds me that I'm near the sea. Not stuck way inland in a town that was -6 last night. Ugh.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 pm  

    • There's a lunchtime in March now?

      Heh heh.

      lan, we all moved. This should tell you how well you'll be able to convince us of Canberra's charms.

      (file under: would only go there to visit cool chicks like lan)

      By Blogger Sherd, at 6:54 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home