Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    17 July 2006

    And now for something completely different.

    Had a busy little weekend - the amount of activity would have been most exciting and felt very sociable if I hadn't been related to every single person I spent time with! No disrespect to my family though - as it was, is was a great weekend and I had a wonderful time. Husband, on the other hand, seems slightly exhausted and overwhelmed as events involving large numbers of in-laws would do for anyone.

    The weekend began for us on Thursday evening when my parentals and sister arrived at 11.30pm. From there it was all go.

    Prior to their arrival, husband and I had gone out for dinner - we found a Chinese restaurant that looked busy and decided we would not order our usual meals (good old honey chicken and satay beef) but have something new and different. I was worried because, as Lan always says, "I tried something new once and I didn't like it" so this was a bit of a gamble for us.

    For entree we had wontons, which I love and husband had never tried - they were soooooo good! One-nil in favour of 'something different'. Husband ordered some spicy beef thingy which I can't remember how to spell, and I ordered crispy chicken rice noodle soup. This way we felt half safe as we were still getting our staple meats.

    Spicy beef thing was a little too spicy (food just shouldn't hurt) - making the score one all.

    My soup came with the chicken on a separate plate with bean sprouts, fresh chili and lemon, so I had a mild panic about was I supposed to put them in the soup or not, but went with the obvious answer that if I had ordered a chicken and noodle soup, then yes, I was supposed to put it in (this was hard as they only provided chopsticks, forks and spoons, so cutting up the chicken was a challenge). I still asked husband to watch the waiters to see if they were laughing at me putting the chicken in my soup. They didn't.

    The soup was yummy, although I deducted 0.25 points for causing the mild panic and difficulty of cutting up the chicken - thus the score ended up 1.75 to 1.00, making trying something different the winner!

    Following our high caused by the win (and possibly MSG), we went on to try more different things at a Greek cake shop further down the street. I ate too much chocolatey cake (my stomach was ready to burst), but it was really yummy, so again, 'something different' came out on top.

    I really like that in Melbourne there are lots of different foods all within spitting distance of each other (although no actual spitting was witnessed between restaurant owners), and they all seem to be so different to the types of places in good old 'Berra. I love it!

    My skin is suffering from me trying to catch up on 25 years of no souvlaki and canoli though.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment



    << Home