Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    07 May 2007

    Lakes Cave

    On our last day in the Margaret River region we decided to visit one of the caves - so we trundled south towards Lakes Cave.

    My dad tells me we visited there when I was a bub (I was born in Perth), and we have some Super 8 home movies to prove it.

    It was chilly as we descended all 336 steps down into the cave.

    I do enjoy doing cave tours, although would never go caving. I really don't like small spaces. Thankfully this was a nice open cave. I've never been to a cave with a lake in it before* and it was quite beautiful.

    The tour guide was borderline dry wit and pompous (the English accent probably didn't help) as he kept doing things like asking what we though a particular stalagmite looked like, and then when people gave the obvious answer he said "If I had a dollar for every time I heard that..." which I thought was a little wanky. I bet he'd only have fifty bucks anyway.

    One of the cave features was named the Dragon, because it apparently resembles one. I was a little doubtful, but was happy to go with the tour guides imagery. When he asked "And what do dragons do?" to introduce the next feature, I said nice and loudly "Sleep on piles of gold and eat people."

    Turns out the answer he was hoping for was 'blow fire', but the column he lit up in red didn't really look like fire to me. I liked my answer better.

    I thought my legs were going to drop off as we climbed the 336 steps back out. Gah! Too much! I pretended I was on a stepper at the gym, but that only made me hate the stairs more.

    Despite there being no pile of gold, or human remains from dragon feasting, it was a lovely cave and was worth the visit!

    ____________________

    * Except when I visited this same one when I was a baby, but I don't think that really counts)

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment



    << Home