Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    09 October 2008

    Preparing to depart

    It has been a long time since I've written because work and life has been a wee bit hectic. Nothing bad, just busy.


    But I'm beginning to move into a new phase of my life, that will hopefully be a a good one! Husband and I have just had our home loan approved, which in this current economic climate may not be the best timing, but dammit! I want a house! House shopping is exciting, but also very depressing and not very interesting. Also I seem to have inherited the mater's snobbery about certain suburbs in Melbs - even though she hasn't lived here for almost 30yrs, and I've only lived here for 2yrs. And why do people mispronounce street names and suburbs (Reservoirians, you know I'm talking about you)?


    I'm also about to start a new job at a different campus of my organisation. Same money, same team, but no more working weekends and no more presenting shows. In preparation I took down all the photos and pics surrounding my desk and they filled a calico bag (an ANU O-Week one for those playing at home). My desk is back to having big blue partitions - no more smiling and loving faces staring out at me. *sniff sniff*



    So to cheer me up I've got a new favourite Desktop pic on my putey. As seen below. Sunset at Cottesloe beach from 18months ago. So much has happened since then!




    I also went through my drawers and shredded lots of stuff which was quite enjoyable. What is it about shredders that makes them fun? The destruction? The way it sucks the paper in? The way I imagine throwing the shredded paper all around the room and having a little dance in it?

    I've found lots of pens that have tried to make their escape over the last two years by falling down the back of my drawers and plan to take them with me to my new desk. Do you think I could take my chair too? I love my chair.

    I'm excited about new job as I can tram to work (which means I can have little beersies after work without having to say 'no'). I know there are all sorts of dangers on public transport - such as the freak who want to sit next to you, the drunk/druggie who needs to vomit, the school kids, the invasion of personal space when it is full, the riding backwards and feeling sick, and so on. BUT there are also good things - I can read a book (which you can't do while driving), watch the Melbourne scenery go by (always entertaining), locate shops or cafes I might like to visit, and sometimes you get to talk to not-freaks. Or maybe sometimes I'm the freak? They do say if you can't spot the freak on the tram, then you probably are the freak. Oh dear.

    I'm worried about going back to being the person who doesn't know anything. I've spent the last two years becoming the 'go to' person and now I'll have to start learning all over again! I think this will be a good learning and experience opportunity though, and will go some way to chasing that perfect work-life balance one hears about (I just want a dishwasher and then things would be perfect!).

    In other news, 10yr school reunion is coming up in a few weeks, so a trip to the Berra is in the offing. This will coincide with the return of the weary pilgrims who have walked 200kms in Spain. A good effort, but nothing like as good as the Proclaimers and their 500 miles...

    Peace out.

    1 Comments:

    • Good luck with the new job. I'm sure it won't take long until you know how everything works.

      Public transport is not as bad as they say - I reckon you just have to stop trying to think that you are somehow separate from the rest of the world and remember that you're a part of it.

      Although that can be tricky when that part has its armpit in your face. But, you know. That's part of the joy of humanity. Maybe...

      ps yay for you being back to blogging! I've missed you!

      By Blogger Sherd, at 7:37 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home