Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    18 July 2008

    Giant Squid Dissection

    There was a live dissection of a 245kg giant squid at Melbourne Museum yesterday. We managed to take a break from a half day meeting to watch the start and went down to catch the end as well. It was only smelly at the end after they had emptied her stomach contents.

    Have been waiting for the cafe to announce that today's special is giant calamari...

    There are some piccies below (also on facebook) but aren't great quality as they are taken on my moby. Also they are mostly of the giant screen that was broadcasting it to the hundreds of people watching on site (not to mention the 1000-odd who streamed it live).

    Check out the video of the giant squid dissection held at Melbs Museum here.

    Big squidy tentacles

    Rasp-like teeth were on her suckers


    The two super long tentacles that this squid would have had if she were intact can join together like a zip. You can see the bumps and indents where they join up.

    " Oh grandma, what a nice big beak you have! "

    "All the better to chomp my food up with so that I don't get a headache (because my food tube goes through the middle of my donut shaped brain) my dear!"

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment



    << Home