Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    24 April 2008

    Adrenalin junkies must have early bed times

    I've always thought husband would look particularly dashing in motorbike leathers, riding around a la James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause (I could be Marilyn if I dyed my hair...):

    (source)

    But - of late there have been lots of ads on TV pushing the line 'What's between you and the road' trying to encourage motorcyclists and moped drivers to wear proper protective gear when they ride. It also reminded me of the time someone from the Museum's Discovery Centre rang us on a weekend looking for one of the collection penis pumps for a series of motorbike ads.

    So despite how spunky he would look, I really do prefer husband all in one piece, with his skin on and all.

    Yesterday I had a further little reminder as to the dangers of bikes when I assisted at an accident on the way home from work.

    We were just stopping at a set of lights when I saw a guy in bike leathers and helmet hopping off the road, take off his helmet, lay on the footpath rolling around screaming. I quickly pulled in and jumped out to see if I could help.

    A young girl in a car had done a u-turn into this guy on his bike and now the bones in his left foot were poking through the leather of his Blundstones. He was not very happy! Husband grabbed the quilt from the boot of our car, and myself a lady from Spotlight and a couple of guys helped keep him calm and called an ambulance.

    The ambos were really nice guys and got to play bandage passer girl (my best role yet!) as well as watch one of the guys cut his boot and sock off to check out the injury properly. The biker got to suck on one of those morphine sticks and kept checking that his bike was safe and off the road (which it was thanks to another passer by).

    The words gruesome, sinewy, boney fragments and ow sum up the situation quite well.

    They then put on an inflatable cast to keep his ankle and foot nice and still and trundled him off to hospital. The cops hadn't shown yet so I left my business card with a guy who was happy to hang around and I trundled off to craft night.

    I was sooooo full of adrenalin. My legs were shaking and I felt like I was on a bit of a high. Husband jokingly said to be careful with my knitting that night becuase I was so jittery - jokes on him, I was knitting him a beanie.

    When I got home I was exhausted - adrenalin junkies must have early bed times.

    3 Comments:

    • I must be the most anally retentive motorcyclist out there because I'm going to pull you up on a point of order: James Dean never rode a motorcycle in Rebel Without a Cause.

      I've had a few motorcycle-related mishaps in my time; adrenalin just reminds you you're alive, and despite the visuals is part of what makes motorcycling fun ... unless you check-out under the wheels of a road-train I suppose. Good on you for being a good fellow citizen.

      By Blogger Saturday Night Fiver, at 11:58 am  

    • ah, I stand corrected. But her does look v spunky - you can't pull me up on that one! ;op

      By Blogger Miff, at 4:19 pm  

    • There are few dangers in riding a bike properly, the dangers come from others around us having momentarily lapses of concentration and hitting us with over a tone of metal rubber and glass.
      It's similar to the old comment “I don't like bikes, a friend of mine was killed on one" they rarely stop to think how many friends they’ve lost in cars.

      But good on you for rendering first aid, I can tell you from personal experience he'll remember your help for the rest of his life.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:15 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home