Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    15 July 2008

    And this is why I would be crap at being homeless

    I always notice people asleep on the tram or train and can't figure it out. I would never feel safe or comfortable enough to sleep on public transport - especially by myself. If I were homeless I'd never sleep (which I assume is actually the case for some people, with good reason).

    Husband is one of these people - happy to sleep anywhere if he's comfortable and a wee bit tired. So much is the case that several years ago siblings and I had joked about taking photos of him asleep to assemble a photo album for him for his birthday. I guess the rumblings of the train might lull one to sleep, and can understand that after a lovely Sunday dinner one might have a little kip on the in-laws couch, but recently husband gave cause for me to really be surprised.

    Bra shopping is no mans favourite pass time (I'm tahking about buying functional bras, not the type that only need to look good on the floor) but needs must and he kindly followed me into the underwear section of Myers. I left him sitting on what I always think of as the 'Man Chair' outside the changing rooms and went in to, well, change. A few minutes later I emerged, with the winning bra in hand.

    What greeted me was quite a funny sight. Husband was totally and utterly asleep in the Man Chair with two little children peering at him, trying to work out if he was a) a mannequin or b) real but asleep. I seriously expected one of them to poke him. Several women were walking past giving me looks of 'aww, isn't he cute, poor little tired husband'. As much as I would have liked to leave him having a nap (he obviously needed it) I thought it was probably not appropriate so I woke him up.

    The man can sleep anywhere. I on the other hand seem to take at least half an hour to sleep even when I'm really tired. Woe is me.

    2 Comments:

    • I always get sleepy on buses - I have to be careful not to fall asleep on the bus and end up somewhere random. I totally have sympathy for Husband!

      By Blogger Sherd, at 7:36 pm  

    • I fell asleep on a bus once, as a result of which I slumped forward and head butted the old lady sitting in front of me.

      In my own defence, I had been awake for 30 hours working three jobs.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:17 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home