Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    07 February 2007

    Good lap top, good lap top...

    I'm sitting here stroking a very old lap top, making soothing noises and being encouraging in the hope that it will open and play a video I've been struggling to load onto it.

    It doesn't have a LAN port and doesn't recognise thumb drives, so I've had to burn numerous CDs trying to get this file to play.

    The video I've downloaded is a 1940s Superman cartoon. It is in Google Video format, and I haven't been able to hook the lap top up to the internet. That would be futile anyway as Google Video only works on Windows 2000/XP and the lap top is in Windows 98.

    So I've been given a CD of klmcodec thingies and someone has kindly managed to turn it form a .gvi to a .avi which (along with the codec) should allow me to show the movie.

    I'm writing this as I wait for the lap top to load the codec, restart itself, blah blah blah. I have no idea what I'm doing to I figure patting the laptop can only help.

    *waits*

    *pats machine*

    Hurrah! Has rebooted itself and I can open it in Media Player! yay yay yay! Now lets just hope it projects into an outdoor theatre well...

    4 Comments:

    • Upload K-lite codec pack, it's one of the best codec packs.
      You can also save google video files as an FLV (Flash video file)by copying the video page then pasting it in the menu of www.keepvid.com select "google video" "youtube" or what ever website you use in the dropdown menu, save file and name it googlevid.flv for example.
      if you don't load the codec pack you may have to install flv player.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 pm  

    • Glen: I think it is the k-lite codec thingy that I've got. It worked a treat after much encouragement on my behalf.

      Lan: I'm trying to think of a clever joke about there being a Lan in every port but I can't seem to make it work.

      By Blogger Miff, at 8:52 am  

    • The next best thing to get a wayward computer to work is give it a spanking.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 am  

    • Computers ... tch! Sounds all G(r)eek to me.

      By Blogger Saturday Night Fiver, at 5:23 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home