Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    07 March 2007

    Canberra Surprise (with cherries on top)

    A couple of weeks ago husband and I decided to to take a trip to Canberra to see my pop, who has just had surgery to remove a lump from his lungs (which has proved not to be cancer, phew!) and is at home with my parentals. Secret squirrel plans were made in collusion with sister, Nellstar, and we were all set to drive up on the Friday.

    The Saturday before we were to come up I received a call form my mother to say she was about to book a trip to Melbourne for the coming weekend - I stuttered and made vague "no you can't!" noises and in the end had to admit to our plans. Dad was in the room and so had an inkling that something was going on. When we arrived we gave my grandparents a big surprise which was very nice!

    We then managed to surprise husband's mum at work. She was looking very frazzled and it took her a moment to recognise us as we were lined up waiting to order a coffee.

    Lots of reminders as to just how small Canberra is. I recognised lots of random people just because they are from Canberra (not necessarily anyone I've ever met, just people I see around). The best moment though, was when we pulled up to have breakfast at Tilley's and saw Lan's car in the car park (who we'd been planning to surprise after breaky) and yes, she was breakfasting at the same place as us - so that was a surprise all round!

    Following breaky we went to the Canberra Centre in the city. A few nights before the city centre, ANU and CSIRO had been host to an enormously crazy hail storm (about a foot of hail I'm told). Hello climate change!

    Canberra Centre, ANU and CSIRO were closed for a day afterwards (the glass houses at CSIRO were all smashed up) due to water damage. The Canberra Centre stank like a wet dog - or wet carpet to be exact.

    A lazy afternoon in Ngunnawal hanging out with Natnou (or Nat-flu, as she had been home sick) and then on to the pub to meet the boys.

    The lads had been there since 1pm, and we arrived about 4pm. Things didn't really get too messy, although I do remember a lot of those "I love so-and-so, they're the best" type conversations. I don't have a very clear memory of the whole night, but I have lots of photos on my phone to give me some clues. Brother-in-laws licking brother-in-laws. The three of us girls all trying to stick our chins out to avoid the dreaded double-chin. Lan's boy looking extremely nervous as I made them kiss for photos... the list goes on.

    Six hours and many, many pints later we left the pub. I walked home (thanks to my chaperones Lan & J) and drunkenly sat around waiting for the room to stop spinning.

    A hung over morning hanging out with the fam was quite relaxing.

    That afternoon I had the pleasure of finally meeting four month old baby Fitzy, William (who is the spitting image of his dad). He left me with a little present of a lap full of vomit (the baby, not his dad). Thankfully it hasn't made me too clucky and I will maintain my resolve to keep my legs crossed for a few more years.
    A long trip home in the car on Monday in which we listened to Ruddy Gore a Phryne Fisher mystery by Kerry Greenwood, which lasted the whole trip.
    All in all, a tiring, drunken, but altogether lovely and fun weekend.



    Also wanted to put in a pic of spunky hubby showing off his guns at the pub. mmmm, husband-a-licious....

    2 Comments:

    • So where's the nervous kissing pic of Lan & boy??

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:53 pm  

    • I think maybe I'd get in trouble for publishing it.

      By Blogger Miff, at 12:48 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home