Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    07 May 2007

    Autumn Wedding in Canberra

    I arrived home form Perth on Thursday evening, put on some laundry, and then began to pack my bags to depart for Canberra early the next day for brother-in-laws wedding. First stop was taking the dogs to the kennels, and then off to the airport. We managed to score the front row seats on our Virgin flight over, which was nice - all the leg room two tall people could hope for!

    My dad met us at the airport - it was nice to see his face wasn't swollen with lymph fluid anymore (surgery was almost nine months ago now). He's basically back to good ol' dad, just with some scars on his neck (which I'm sure will be accompanied by exotic stories for the grandchildren) and a bit skinnier. OK, a lot skinnier, but he's a good deal plumper now than 9 months ago, and he informs me he's put on another kilo since mum went to London for uni a few weeks ago. He admits that this is probably due to not being forced (by cher maman) to walk up Mount Ainslie every week.

    It was a much easier transition flying into 'Berra than driving. When we've driven in I get weird panicky freak out moments as we get close to town. It reminds me of the odd, almost embarrassing feeling I get when I return to school or work after having been absent for a long time. Arriving by car you see lots of scenery, which makes me feel really different and out of place - it isn't where I call home anymore, which is odd.

    So here we were, back in 'Berra for brother-in-laws wedding. A 'Strictly Black Tie' wedding. mmm, husband in tuxedo... mmm, excuse to wear bright red 21st dress again...

    I think we look quite smashing!

    Of course we weren't the focus of the day (d'oh!), it was down to Rup and Bek to tie the knot in a big ol' church near Parliament House. My favourite part of going to church (admittedly only part) is getting to sing nice and loudly, so I'm always put out when I go to a wedding or funeral and don't know the hymns. At least hymns are very predictable and you can pick up or predict the tune quickly (I must take after my grandmother, who sings all songs she doesn't know about a half second behind everyone else) - my dad has a theory that there are really only about five hymn tunes, so you can usually get on alright. Which I did. By the end of it you would have sworn I was a Presbyterian born and bred. Well, maybe you wouldn't have sworn, because we were in a church and I'm pretty sure that's not allowed, but you would have been impressed. (^_^)

    Bride meets Groom... lemme hear you say "awww"!

    Dashing chaps in their tuxes

    Dashing young nephew who couldn't attend the ceremony because he was playing football. He managed to sprain his wrist and get a black eye, also scoring a mild case of concussion so doesn't remember the rest of the game.

    Reception was at the Boat House (tres posh) and the food was absolutely divine. The rather large centre pieces on the table made conversation difficult, so much chatting happened on the dance floor or outside star gazing (fabulous night to see Jupiter - it was right next to the Moon and under Scorpius). We also had to make video messages, which I wasn't keen on because I can never think of anything to say. A few drinks later and I was doing a rendition of 'Diamonds are a girl's best friend' which was supposed to be advice for Rup for any time he is in trouble and needs to make it up to Bek but I'm not sure if I actually said this on the video. I certainly planned it in my head... Anyway, if nothing else it will (hopefully) give her family a laugh, or make them think - 'who are these weird people whose last name our daughter is adopting?'

    Some lovely speeches, a few emotional tears and one very tired cookie-girl later, we were back at mum and dad's trying to sleep in the world's worst bed (second only to the one we sleep in at Potato Point). I was very glad to be back in my own bed on Sunday night.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment



    << Home