Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    08 September 2006

    Rain, Rain, Bloody Rain

    I thought it was genuinely accepted everywhere in Australia that Melbourne is the Rainy City - isn't it? It seems that Melbournians don't agree.

    It rains here All The Time - this is why my blog is called 'Where the Grass is Greener' because it rains here so much that the grass is really, really green. Duh.

    At work I expressed my dismay that it was raining again and lamenting at how much it rains because I have to drive 40km to work in it on big freeways with big scary trucks to accompany me. I think perhaps I may have hit a nerve. There were a few exclamations of "It hasn't rained in ages!" "We really need it though!" "It doesn't rain that often!"

    Pah! I've only had my job for three weeks now, and it has rained at least twice every week, often more. I notice this because I have to drive in it in my overly panicked state.

    And yes, we are in a drought - I'm pretty sure water restrictions aren't as tight here as they were in Canberra, and nowhere near what they are in Goulburn. I haven't had to water my garden, and I don't know who would.

    However, being from Canberra I can understand the want or need to defend one's home town when someone - a stranger - makes a comment about your city which you feel they are unqualified to make. People bag Canberra all the time, and I feel this need to defend it, even if the only thing I can say, pathetically, is that it is really nice to live in a small city, has beautiful clear and sunny skies (i.e. no smog), is rally easy to get around*, has lots of parks and would be a nice place to raise a family.

    I'm still undecided as to how long I think we will stay settled here, whether we buy a house, start a family etc. For now Canberra is still 'home'.

    That said, however, Canberra is very bloody dry, freezing in winter and hot in summer. So although I complain about having to drive in the rain, it is lovely to live somewhere nice and wet and not have to watch my garden die because I don't think I should waste water on it.


    -----------------
    * If you miss your turn at least you just drive to the next round-about to turn around. Oh so many round-abouts!

    2 Comments:

    • But all melbournes got going for it is the shopping, food, pubs and clubs, rich dynamic multiculturism and shit loads of rain.
      But I'll never live there, scary experience between me and a tram.
      I was trying to think of a way to bag Melbourne but beside the freakish weather it's a great place.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 am  

    • Canberra - "so many round-abouts" - The major roads go round in circles too. It's the perfect place for our nation's politicians and bureaucrats.

      I like visiting Canberra. I have some good friends there. Being ex-Queenslanders, they regularly complain about the "very bloody dry, freezing in winter and hot in summer".

      Of course, I'll never bag Melbourne. It's a wonderful place - for all those southerners to stay. They keep migrating to Queensland, inflating our housing prices and stretching our infrastructure.

      Speaking of which, water shortages mean Brisbane has had a complete ban on hosing for months now. Every time you exhale, please point north and see if you can blow some of that rain this way.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home