Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    25 July 2006

    Baby Boom and Baby Broom

    Is it just me or has the world suddenly become more fertile?

    I know I've just been to a baby shower so it is likely to be playing on my mind, but the shower was for two people - one cousin and one cousin's fiancee. That is two more pregnant people in my family than there has ever been (that is, in my generation, obviously someone had to be pregnant in my family for there to be a 'my family' to begin with). Also Fitzy is having a baby. People I went to school with have had babies. Lots of people at my (old) work had babies recently. Why all the babies suddenly?

    I suppose that last year was the year of weddings (mine included) and as we all know first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage. Puts a little bit of pressure on when relatives and friends begin procreating, but I'm still holding out (and keeping my legs crossed).

    Leading from the baby shower last weekend, I've begun thinking about Fitzy's baby shower in October. I went to wikihow for some inspiration and found the curious of all curious baby activities, and that is how to make a Baby Broom.

    Now, call me crazy, but what the hell is a baby broom? It's popular enough to have its own 'how to' on wiki and I've never ever heard of it. Why decorate and jazz up a broom with ribbon, streamers, glitter, a rattle and most importantly a sprig of baby's breath for 'freshness'????

    It sounds enormously tacky and I think if I was pregnant and someone gave me a baby broom I would probably beat them with it until they left my house. Having said that, I think it would be the funniest thing in the world to make someone. You gotta share the love, right?

    Now I'm chalking this baby broom thing up to good old America, and the general tackiness of things that seem to come from there (have you seen Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes?) but what would be the Australian equivalent?

    Sounds like we need an Art Attack ! I need Neil's help! What to make? A mobile made of colourful tinnies (pre-drunk of course)? Or should I decorate a Hills Hoist with ribbons, streamers and baby's breath?

    Watch out Fitzy! I'm getting creative, and i have a lot of time on my hands!!!!

    As Neil would say: Too rah!

    1 Comments:

    • Well naturally we have Peter Costello and John Howard to thank for the baby boom, mind you I’m sure that if everyone actually thought of those two during the conception stage we would be having a baby recession, err yuck I feel all dirty inside now.
      My apologies to anyone who suffered serious mental anguish from that, I’d recommend a good therapist but look what she did to me.
      So when is the Domestic goddess going to get a Shrine, get enough followers and you can claim yourself as a legitimate religion..

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home