Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    28 July 2006

    The Miracle Maker (that is to say, me)

    Glen asked when I was going to get a shrine to the Domestic Goddess (aka Me) and then claim myself as the head of a legitimate religion. Hmm... I always knew I was omnipotent (not to mention psychic, as a psychic once told me*) just ask my husband. So perhaps it is time I built a shrine.


    Well, here is what I suppose you could consider a shrine to me - this is how I have my dressing table set up (sans the mirror, which is currently in the bathroom**). In the fullness of time I will get a nicer table, there is one I have my eye on at the antique shop up the road. Then I will be a proper Goddess, even if I am the only person worshipping me!

    Perhaps I should go door knocking in the middle of the day and asking other women who are also enjoying the world of domesticity if they would like to worship me? Not overly enticing, but then, what door knocking religion sharers are?

    Now I know someone is likely to suggest that a shrine to a Domestic Goddess should have things that reflect housework, like washing detergent and a scrubbing brush***, rather than jewellery, sparkly stuff, tiaras, Napoleon lip gloss and general pretty things.

    They would be wrong. Very wrong.

    I don't think it would be at all appropriate because housework isn't actually what being a Domestic Goddess is really about - housework chores are just the miracles I perform. (Bloody amazes me that I'm doing it, and I'm pretty sure husband is surprised on a daily basis when the dishes are done and dinner is cooking.)

    One a (slightly) more serious note though, census time is almost upon us (hurrah! I love filling in forms and surveys!****) and I am seriously considering putting 'Domestic Goddess' as my occupation, after all, you're not supposed to lie.


    ----------------------
    *I'm sure you all know that story, I bloody tell it often enough.
    ** Who makes a house with no vanity mirror in the bathroom? I mean really.
    *** That person is unlikely to be my mother, who I suspect wouldn't recognise these items any better than I would.
    **** No seriously, I do. Except for those ones the Scientologists try to get you to do in Civic Bus Interchange.

    2 Comments:

    • Can I be a Domestic Goddess too? Where do I join? I have a dressing table and fairy lights in my bedroom - is that close enough to a shrine?

      ps I'm such a form-whore I even like the scientology ones. I'm so ashamed!

      By Blogger Sherd, at 10:36 pm  

    • Miff is Alison Dubois (Title character from TV drama 'Medium').

      Realisation occured when Miff, during an ad for said show, said how sorry she felt for Alison's husband, seeing as he was always being woken up by Alison with news that something bad was going to happen to someone, somewhere soon. Given that I am regularly roused from my slumbers to be told that, in a dream, I had eaten a puppy or committed some other heinous act, I have a certain sympathy for the husband. I communicated this via a raised eyebrow.

      Domestic Goddess saw the irony of the situation and let me off with a mere two thunderbolts. Thankfully, I'm agnostic and they failed to detonate.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home