Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    14 September 2006

    Can't get away from the stink

    ***WARNING*** Don't eat while you read this. ;o)

    Ahh, the simple joys of working in an industrial zone...

    In the industrial areas of Canberra one expects furniture stores, matress warehouses, car yards and lots of sex shops.

    Here in Melbourne, I work nextdoor to a glass factory. I usually arrive at work to the sweet smell of burning rubber.

    Because all of the sewage from the northern suburbs is piped directly under our site, on particularly warm days we get a nice smell from the pumping station. One can also seek out this smell on purpose by visiting the old straining well (where they had massive strainers in the 1950s to get out rags, garbage, dead animals and apparently a lot of false teeth before the sewage went through the pumps) where you can look down into a live sewage pipe - it is glassed over, but the smell manages to make it through.

    This isn't the worst part of my working day.

    On my way to work, just as I turn off the ring road onto the West Gate Freeway, I pass an organic recycling plant. I wish they would be more honest. Call it a 'poo farm' and be done with it! The first few times I drove to work I kept thinking I'd stepped in dog poo and only realised now (after 40mins of being in the car). Eventually I realised I had this same thought at the same place every day, and finally saw the big 'Organic Recycling' sign.

    Usually I'm able to wizz past at 100km/hr, but the nasty smell gets me anyway, and I hold my breath for a kilometre or so. Eww eww ewww.

    I thought this daily snatch of stink couldn't possibly get worse. How wrong I was.

    Yesterday the traffic was bumper to bumper along the freeway and it took me 15mins to travel 5km, where the speed limit is 100km/hr. Guess what I stopped next to! Yes, the poo farm! There was nothing I could do to get away, it was really, really disgusting.

    When I finally reached work I shared my stinky experience and was told that this particular poo farm had been fined recently for too much smell - it could be smelt 3 suburbs away. It turns out they were taking on more organic waste (again, why don't people just say poo?) than they could process, so instead of composting it was rotting. Hurrah! I drove past rotting poo! I feel dirty just thinking about it.

    I think I'll need to purchase a car deoderiser thingy, or a gas mask maybe?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment



    << Home