Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    20 October 2006

    I only enjoy bottlenecks that are followed by beer.

    Yes, this is another traffic whinge.

    I really, really don't understand how traffic can be at a stand still on a freeway. It's understandable when there's been an accident, or road works, but there's no traffic lights, no roundabouts, no turns, nothing!

    Today, the ring road was bumper to bumper all the way to Sunshine (that sounds like it would be a happy place to live in, but I think names can be deceiving). It was sslllooooowwwwww. And there's always a couple of dickheads who think they should be allowed to travel in the emergency lane to get in front of everyone else. I wish I were that important.

    Melbournians explain this phenomenon* to me by saying the traffic is stopped because of bottlenecks. Yes, there are some points where there is traffic merging, but as long as you merge at the right speed there should be very little delay. And for some reason today, the 'Big Boys Lane' (the right lane) was even slower than the left lane that people were merging onto!

    I say 'bah!' to bottlenecks.**

    I suppose the reason I haven't really experienced this before is that even in 'berra I never had to travel on freeways in peak hour (or peak minutes), just main roads with traffic lights.

    Why oh why do I work 40km from home?


    -------------
    * Well, it's a phenomenon to me.
    ** As in 'Bah Humbug!' not 'Bah' like a sheep.

    2 Comments:

    • Hah! I laugh in your general direction! You should see the ridiculosity here this week with traffic just because someone broke a bridge.

      Actually it's really not that bad. It took me two hours to make the 30 minute trip to work the other day, but that was mostly because the bus never turned up.

      By Blogger Sherd, at 10:10 pm  

    • I totally feel your pain, Perth 'freeways' suffer from the same infliction. & what makes it worse is that Perth drivers are the worst drivers I've ever had the delight of sharing death-trap roads with. They don't know how to do the speed limit, especially on freeways - 70 on a freeway? READ THE SIGN PEOPLE. I'm seriously contemplating taking the bus which takes twice as long to get to work just so I won't have to drive. You would think that because I drive along a highway to work that would mean quick, easy driving but no such luck. The 'highway' is 60 & has traffic lights every 500m or so.

      So I understand the frustrations of this unfortunate daily task, & will think of you stuck on the freeway next time I'm stuck on the freeway & I know it will somehow make me feel a bit better just knowing that someone close to me yet on the other side of the country puts up with the same sh!t.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home