Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    01 October 2006

    Flat Chested City

    Driving on an over-pass yesterday I took a quick look around at my surroundings. Melbourne is really, really flat.* If it wasn't for the pollution, you could probably see a really long way.

    I've lived my whole life between two mountains in Canberra, and now that I've realised how flat it is here I'm feeling a little exposed.

    I'm told (I could be entirely wrong) that the name "Canberra" is derived (or partially derived) from an indigenous word "Ngambra" which is the name for the space between breasts (the flat bit, not the cleavage) - Canberra is essentially a flat bit between two mountains, hence the indig naming "Ngambra".

    So I've come from a busty, voluptuous city to a flat chested one (not forgetting the spiky bit - a nipple ring perhaps?). Perhaps this is why I feel an affinity with Canberra??

    Or perhaps rather than Canberra being the arse end of Australia, it is the busty part? Hmm, but what does that make Melbourne then?

    ----------
    *Except for the tall spiky city bit.

    2 Comments:

    • Melbourne must be the belly, with an outie.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 pm  

    • I'm glad you suggested that. I was hoping I'm not livinig on the mirkin.

      By Blogger Miff, at 4:41 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home