Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    17 October 2006

    Weekend in 'Berra

    Had a short trip to Canberra on the weekend. Although I was there from Friday to Sunday it felt very short.

    Arriving Friday lunchtime I was able to see Squinky the Two Eyed Kid (aka my brother) for the first time in months, as he left for the US before I moved to Melbourne. The mohawk suits him, although it is probably more on the road to being a faux-hawk (not that I have anything against any sort of hawks, faux or otherwise).

    The afternoon was spent with Lan and Fitzy shopping for baby shower stuff and rubbing Fitzy's tummy in the hope of waking up the baby. I think it's mean when people explicitly say 'No poking the baby' because they know you want to wake it up (pre or post natal).

    Friday night was dinner with ma famille (including Lan, cos twenty year anniversaries have to mean something in terms of family status), where I met Squinky's new squeeze. Squeeze of Squinky was very nice, although we'd had a few champers by the time she arrived so not sure what she thought of us (or me, specifically). The guitar was brought out, vocal chords stretched, and the Tambourine Man even made an appearance (that is, dad and the harmonica) which we were all secretly hoping would happen, and then fell about laughing in surprise when it did. One doesn't usually expect someone who has recently had major throat surgery to play harmonica that well (or at all).

    Saturday morning saw me being the surprise guest at the birthday of my now nephew (thanks to certain wedding vows exchanged last year) who turned 12. I gave the generic aunt and uncle gift of $20 in a card. Was mortified when other aunt and uncle gave $30. Inflation has been kind to children.

    It was nice to see husband's family and got the low down on brother in-law Rup and Bek's upcoming wedding. I feel like such an old hand at weddings now, what with having organised a whole ONE wedding. I'm so totally pro.

    My domestic goddess peaked through for a bout of cooking for the baby shower - caramel tarts and cannoli.

    The baby shower was great fun - lots of giggling, telling funny baby stories, and scary baby stories (did anyone else know there were four degrees of 'tearing'? Bring on the C section, I say). Of course this just served to make me incredibly clucky. I've had to begin slapping my hand and saying 'No babies' at regular intervals. I've asked husband to do the same, but he seems hesitant on the whole domestic violence front, which is good, but it just means I'll have to keep my legs crossed for a couple of years to prevent the making of any babies.

    Baby shower was followed by Beer shower at All Bar Nun - which has doubled it's premises, but not doubled its seating. It also got a bit crap with music way too loud (it's a pub, not a night club) and some drunk shit heads who kept throwing beer at one another, which then got on us, which the bouncer didn't seemed to worried about. We moved outside to avoid the dick heads, but at 11pm we were told that 'outside was closing' and we'd have to moved indoors. I had no idea that nature turned off at 11pm. That was our signal to go home.

    It was awesome to see my fabulous Canberra people, and it was really great that the ex-colleague who sat with us didn't stay long. Turns out you can have 'us' without 'Gus'.

    Sunday was a beautiful warm day, and that morning saw second breakfasts with Sherdie and Lan, shopping at Unit Concepts and the Hive (hurrah!) and then off to the airport with the parentals. This time I wasn't found to have explosives on me at security, so that was nice (although I hadn't been playing with artillery shells last time, but they seemed to think I had).

    Of course it was fucking freezing in Melbourne, but that's what it's all about (I don't think the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about).

    2 Comments:

    • Great update Miff, feels like I went myself!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 pm  

    • Wow, an us without Gus? Is such a thing truly, truly possible?

      I also didn't have explosives on me at security.

      Thanks for a fab weekend gals (albs I know you were there in spirit). Notwithstanding the four levels of tears. And the incredible hungoverness on Saturday. Hive! Essen! Doreen!

      *tears up a bit*

      By Blogger Sherd, at 9:11 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home