Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    31 January 2008

    21 Pirate Salute

    Little sister turned 21 over the long weekend and we celebrated in the 'Berra on a pirate ship. Well, more of a boat really, but the fake shark and pirate dummies on the top deck certainly made it piratey. Oh, and the forty pirate attired guests.

    The less piratey side of things was the pole for pole dancing and the strangely gross and slightly creepy 'captain' (read: dude who drives boat).

    I felt v creative and talented as hubby and I sported home made costumes that I had actually made. I am soooooo the domestic goddess! I bought some cheap pirate flags - the $2 shop (where everything is not actually $2) was having a 20% off closing down sale so I bought all of their pirate flags - and turned two into a dress for me and two into pants for the man.

    Unfortunately I don't own a sewing machine and was only able to borrow an over-locker. Over-locking is a commitment and one not to be taken lightly - once you over-lock there is no turning back!

    How does one make pants and a dress without patterns? Deconstruct old clothes of course! The dress was easy enough - all I really did was cut around another dress and sew up the sides. Pretty straight forward. Pants on the other hand are more of a challenge. I wanted each leg to be wrapped in a flag so only want to do the pants in two pieces (usually you'd do four I think) so I cut up an old pair of my jeans to make the man's pants. I had the idea that because I'm bigger than him that they'd be sure to fit, so did a quick 'fitting' with the pants pinned up and the went merrily on my over-locking way and made a pair of pants.

    All was travelling well, they looked like an actual pair of pants and because I had no elastic, zipper or button hole maker so I decided I'd be clever and make wrap around top that he'd just tie up so they'd stay on. Hurrah for me! The domestic goddess reigns supreme!

    Then he tried the pants on.

    Turns out when you copy a pair of girls pants to make a pair of boy pants there isn't enough doodle space (to put it delicately...). This small (but tight) problem was no problem for the domestic goddess though - ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you... THE GUSSET!!!

    Yes, through the help of a gusset, or modesty panel, my husband was contained and was ready to party! Although he seemed to have a slight squint all day, which originally I attributed to the glare form the water, but in hindsight it may have been a pants problem.

    3 Comments:

    • Did Little Sister get keys to the pirate universe for her 21st?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 pm  

    • Funny how a rather pissed Simon made no mention of lack of crotch space to the lads in the pub that afternoon?

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 pm  

    • you said doodle.

      Hee hee.

      By Blogger Sherd, at 9:02 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home