Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    12 March 2008

    Car Trip Traditions

    Spent a weekend recently in Bendigo at a friend's winery bottling wine (shiraz mostly) - about 9,500 bottles all up.

    We drove up on Friday after work, eating cheese and bacon balls in the car. Traditionally I'm a chicos car-trip-treat kind of girl (thanks to Lan), but I was happy to try something different.

    It put in me in mind of all the car trip traditions I've experienced over the years.

    From a young age my family had lots of car trips (much to my motion sickness delight) - mostly to Potato Point and Melbourne. I have always been a big fan of singing (der) and have many fond memories of forcing my siblings to sing rounds in the car...


    Miff: OK, so you are going to sing 'one bottle of pop'. Do you remember how that one goes?

    Nell: Yes... *rolls eyes*

    Miff: And you will sing 'fish and chips and vinegar', alright?

    Hugh: No. I'm not playing.

    Miff: Yes you are. You are singing 'fish and chips and vinegar'.

    Hugh: But I don't-

    Miff: 'Fish and chips and vinegar'. And I'll sing 'Don't throw your muck in my backyard'. Ready?

    *resounding silence*

    Miff: 1, 2, 3...


    Other car favourites (according to me) included singing the theme song from the Pippi-Long-Stocking movie but starting every word with the same letter of the alphabet, and then running through each letter. Favourite letters included 'B' (you got to say 'Bum') and 'P' (saying 'Poo').

    Not long after this, for some reason, my parents started playing audio books instead. Not sure why the singing, and arguing about singing, wasn't entertaining enough. The ongoing favourite was The Hobbit (I still have the cassettes) and for years I believed that the Clyde Mountain was one of the misty mountains from the Hobbit (or wanted to believe that anyway).

    Least favourite audio books were War of the Worlds and Day of the Triffids - stories which frightened me so much that I stole them from the car and hid them in my bedroom. I found them about 10yrs later when I moved out of home.

    Another great car game is randomly yelling "Ow! Hugh! That hurt!" and then watching him get in trouble for whatever it is my dad thought he'd done. We also used to be able to earn money by spotting number plates from different state and territories.

    These days husband and I tend to stock up on lollies, Redskins, Starburst, Mentos etc. Because husband is particularly fond of soft Redskins I oblige my warming them up in my bra. hmmm, breast-toasted Redskins... I just have to remember to take them out when we have a pit stop. Husband and I try to avoid listening to music as our tastes differ wildly (I love Regina Spektor, he loves AC/DC) but we have enjoyed listening to random podcasts of late - Ricky Gervais care of Hugh (I do enjoy Monkey News), Dr Karl care of husband.

    Although I don't really enjoy car trips (motion sickness, woo!) I do enjoy experiencing other peoples little traditions as well as making up new ones.

    For some reason I can't get any buy in from people to sing rounds anymore...

    2 Comments:

    • I will never be able to look at a redskin in the same light ever again.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 pm  

    • Me neither.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:37 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home