Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    15 August 2006

    I just don't get the football thing

    When I told my mum we were moving to Melbourne she advised me that no one would talk to me unless I had a football team. Should not having a team worry me? Do I need to research and choose a team? Does one have to understand (or care about) football to barrack for a team?

    Mum is of the view I should be going for Collingwood (I think I must live in a Collingwood supporting suburb, there are often scarf-sporting people, but I could well be entirely wrong), my Pop goes for Hawthorn, I think my grandmother goes for Carlton and my dad is too intelligent for the debate and keeps well out(I hope)! heh heh.

    I was just standing in the yard when I heard the kids over the back having a discussion about who barracks for who.

    Kid 1: So you used to go for Collingwood but now you go for Essendon?
    Kid 2: Yeah.
    Kid 3: (to Kid 1) Don't listen to him - that's a lie! (to Kid 2) You don't even have a beanie or a scarf or anything!
    Kid 2: So what? I go for Essendon now!
    Kid 3: No you don't!

    I'm guessing Kid 1 was a visitor to the house who goes for Essendon, and that Kid 2 and Kid 3 are siblings (Kid 2 being the older as Kid 3 was doing that annoying thing younger siblings do with the whole 'telling the truth at all times to get your sibling into trouble'-thing). It was a very earnest conversation and very cute. You get the feeling that Kid 3 would later tell dad over the dinner table about what Kid 2 said. There would be tears and crying as their eldest child turns against his family. Severe disciplinary action would be enforced (such as the wearing of Magpie scarf and beanie for a week) and so on.

    Thus far not having a team hasn't caused me any grief - they didn't ask me at my interview who I barracked for, so I managed to get a job without having to admit to this dreadful sin.

    Perhaps I will not graduate as a Melbournian until I have a team?

    6 Comments:

    • My purely objective view is that you should go for Carlton because:
      1) Blue is easy to remember
      2) They suck at the moment so no-one wil think you are jumping on any bandwagons
      3) One day they will return to their former glory and you will have been there through the bad times and the good
      4) They have nice arms*.


      * may be common to all football teams.

      By Blogger Sherd, at 5:23 pm  

    • you may have to brush up on your footy knowledge or people will look at you funny & try & persuade you to follow their team. It is handy having an excuse like 'I go for Geelong because my grandma told me to' but now I know something about the game, am proud to follow the tradition. & while I don't really have any objections, your team of choice really shouldn't be Collingwood (apologies to SP) ;)

      mmmm footballers arms....

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:00 pm  

    • Hmm, Sherdy I like your advice. I'm sure my grandmother would be pleased.

      And Alby, you too are (as always) filled with wisdom.

      I've got as far as appreciating the good arms, so it is a start, no?

      By Blogger Miff, at 4:03 pm  

    • That's a definite start. And I gotta second Alby on the Collingwood thing...

      By Blogger Sherd, at 4:27 pm  

    • Best I can gather is more people hate Collingwood than any other team.
      But it may just be something isolated to Canberra.
      I'd be happy if someone could explain how the hell the game is played.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 pm  

    • Oh and a tip for picking the winner, look for the team with the players that look the best in the tight shorts.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home