Where the Grass is Greener

    follow me on Twitter

    14 August 2006

    Weekend Adventures

    The ever lovely Lan came down for the weekend, arriving on Thursday night. It was a weekend filled with mini-adventures.

    I may be admitting to the tameness (or perhaps lameness?) of my life as I divulge just what an 'adventure' entails, but suffice to say that doesn't matter cos I had fun and feel a sense of accomplishment!

    Adventure 1:
    I drove to the airport. Not a huge achievement, but I am always proud of myself when I drive somewhere in Melbourne that I've never driven to before (considering I had never driven in Melbourne pre moving here and don't really know where I'm going until I get there).

    We got there a lot faster than I thought. I overestimated travel and parking time as I didn't want to be late. We were there about half an hour early, which was OK as it gave us time to have a hot chocolate and brave the security check point thingy (which husband always hates because the beeper always goes off or he gets picked for the explosive test thingy).

    Once we had collected Lan in her new brown boots we made for the car park - $9 for parking! $9!! All up we were probably there about 40minutes. $9!!!! That was an adventure for my wallet.

    Adventure 2:
    Vanilla Vodka and Lemonade on return from the airport. This wasn't really an adventure, but Lan and I had fun. And it was yummy.

    Adventure 3:
    Shopping in Brunswick St. The adventure began with breakfast at the Green Grocer and was followed with me driving nose first into a park that I really should have reversed into. My stubbornness meant we had a scene a little like the million point turn scene in Austin Powers. But we got in there (with much giggling) and attacked the shops.

    I bought two pairs of cute shoes for $30 each (one red and one black) and a pair of earrings (red, of course). Very very controlled.

    We also went to T2 and bought some Vanilla Mint tea - so so yummy and fresh tasting. Delish!

    Adventure 4:
    Diana Ferrari Shoe Warehouse. Again, very very restrained - I bought one pair of knee high black boots for $60. Bargain.

    It was here that I got the phone call of a job offer, so that added to the fun and meant I could feel good about buying more shoes as it was a celebration.

    Adventure 5: (see how adventurous we were!)
    Stolberg Beer Cafe (fancy way of saying 'clean pub'). Lan and I had had two pints by the time we decided to order food and husband joined us. Drunken phone calls with Alby and Sherdy were certainly a highlight. As was the talking far too loudly about inappropriate things in a public place.

    Two more pints before we decided it was best to call it a night.

    This was where the real adventure began. I will preface this with the fact that I was wearing my new knee high boots. Husband and Lan insisted we walk home. Ordinarily I would whinge for a while and then accept my fate - but not when I'm wearing new boots with heels and was quite drunk. This (I feel) gave me the right to whinge the whole way home.

    The fact that I now have blisters on the balls of my feet simply proves that I was right.

    Still, overall it was a fabulous night of fun-filled merriment, lots of laughing and breaking of seals. Good times had by all (except for the walking home part, but that was just me).

    Adventure 6:
    Hang over day. Not the best adventure, but certainly a relaxing one. Lan and I spent most of the day reading in the sporadic sunlight and knitting in front of the TV.

    A quick trip to the mall to buy presents and bread boosted our morale and fed our insane urge to keep spending money when we really couldn't afford to.

    Adventure 7:
    Melbourne Museum. A long and very packed tram ride (stuck in a backwards seat to my travel sickness dismay) to the Melbourne Museum, where we enjoyed looking at naked people in the human body exhibition.

    I had been to the museum once before, and felt that now they were going to be my new employers* I should go for another visit. It was worth the $6 we paid to get in, but I'm glad we didn't have to pay $14 (a la Questy).

    Adventure 8: the final adventure
    Beer Betanque National Grande Pricks. This is a world famous game that Lan and I invented. It basically consists of playing Bocce/Boules (which we call Betanque, technically spelt 'Petanque' but the B is better for alliteration) while drinking beer.

    Wherever your stubby holder is from is the state you represent (hence making it the 'Nationals'). Husband was the QLD rep, Lan was ACT and I was VIC.

    The best parts are that there is no scoring, that the dogs become obstacles and that you have to drink beer between each game.

    Lan's gameplay earned herself the new name "Nudgy McLan".

    The game was followed by Beer Can Bum Chicken - a specialty in our house - and postcard writing accompanied by Lemoncello.

    I've just got back from dropping Lan off at the airport and am preparing for the daily Domestic Goddess duties (i.e. Queer Eye).

    Thanks for the fun weekend Lan!


    -------------
    * Scienceworks is part of Museums Victoria.

    2 Comments:

    • Adventure-tastic! I wholly approve, especially of drunken postcard writing. I think the trick is to send them while you're still drunk so you don't have time to re-read them in the cold light of day.

      Wish I'd been there, but the phonecall made me feel all warm and fuzzy, and also like drinking a lot. Which I did. Hurrah!

      By Blogger Sherd, at 1:09 pm  

    • Very very jealous! Because I a) Love Melbourne; b) Love Adventures; c) Love Vanilla Vodka, Pints, New Shoes, Bocce & Beer Can Bum Chicken & most of all d) Love you guys!!!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 pm  

    Post a Comment



    << Home